Computer Science encompasses both the theoretical and the practical aspects of the study of computers and algorithmic processes. Students majoring in computer science at Oberlin are prepared both for further graduate studies in the discipline and also for careers in the industries and businesses that actively recruit computer scientists with a liberal arts background. Computer Science at Oberlin is taught within the context of a liberal arts degree, with emphasis on the lasting principles of the discipline rather than on specific training in particular tools and techniques. The CS Department stresses the fundamentals of computer science while maintaining a highly current and relevant curriculum utilizing state-of-the-art methodologies and tools. More detailed information about the Computer Science major and minor and a complete list of courses can be found in the course catalog.
October 27th, 2015
October 23rd, 2015
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Completed applications received by November 13, 2015 will be guaranteed full consideration.
September 23rd, 2015
Review of applications will begin on November 6, 2015, and will continue until the position is filled. Completed applications received by the deadline will be guaranteed full consideration.
October 29th, 2015
- Monday Nov 2 Noon Winter Term Information Meeting King 239 Pizza Sign up
- Thursday Nov 5 12:15-1:15 – MongoDB recruiting and talk Pizza sign up
- Friday Nov 6 6:00p.m. Dawn Shaikh, Manager @ Google – User Experience Researcher Severance 132B RSVP to email@example.com
- Saturday Nov 7 1:30-2:30 – David Asch, Decisiv – Liberal Arts Opportunities @ Software Companies AJ Lewis Hallock Auditorium
- Wed Nov 11 Noon – Epic Recruiting Event More info to follow
- Tues Nov 17 Rhys Price Jones Talk Sponsored with Math 4:30 King 239
October 5th, 2015
Join us for a Pizza Lunch talk presented by Career Services Monday, Oct 12
Noon-1:00 p.m. King 239
CSCI Faculty will present helpful information and tips.
Career Services will present and demo available job search databases.
Sign up in the CSCI office to attend by Friday, Oct 9
September 15th, 2015
Join Oberlin Alum Seth Wimberly ’10 & Ted Warner’09 for their talk about working for GOOGLE as they share tips on resumes, interviews, and applying for jobs and internships.
DON’T Miss THIS ONE! Monday, Sept. 28 4:30-5:30 p.m. King 101 FREE PIZZA
TO RSVP go to URL: goo.gl/Jy5hvr
Presented by: GOOGLE and OCCS
September 15th, 2015
JOIN US on Sept. 29 12:15-1:15 King 101
for a presentation by Ted Warner Oberlin CSCI ’09 Sign up for Pizza in the CSCI office
Test Driven Development or: How I learned to stop worrying and LOVE unit tests
Presented by : GOOGLE and OCCS
August 31st, 2015
Join us On Wednesday, Sept 2 4:30p.m. for an Ice Cream Social
Rice/King Courtyard – Rainsite King 2nd Floor ice cream social
April 5th, 2015
April 4th, 2015
Are you considering going to graduate school to continue studying computer science? Thinking you’d like to know more about the process and get some info from others about it? Then come to our Q&A session on Tuesday, April 7 at 12:15pm for a PIZZA LUNCH and more info.
Topics to be covered include:
- What CS grad school is like — the first two years and beyond
- What is CS research like?
- Is grad school right for me?
- Masters or PhD?
- How do you apply?
- How to choose schools/advisors?
- Getting good letters of recommendation
- Things you can do now to improve your chances of being accepted
- and any other questions you might have
RSVP required! Sign up in the CS office (King 223) by Monday to attend.